Thursday, February 10, 2005

Come to Dumaguete!

My early days were spent in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental. Last October, my wife and I returned for a visit to this wonderful seaside haven. We had lunch on the boulevard, at a quaint cafe called Coco Amigos.



Home to four outstanding universities, Dumaguete is the original "university" town in the country, and is a rich source of skilled human resources. Dr. Bill Torres, former NCC Director-General studied at Dumaguete's Central Visayas University. Deputy Commissioner Kathy Heceta of the NTC finished her law degree in Dumaguete's Silliman University.

The city provides many other benefits for e-services locators. High-bandwidth fiber connections, excellent English speakers, competitive incentives, golfing, whale watching and scuba diving nearby, the list goes on.

If you're interested to find out more, please come to a forum entitled "The IT Outlook for Oriental Negros and Dumaguete City" on Thursday, February 17, 2005 at the Boracay Room, Shangri-La EDSA Hotel. This forum is part of the forthcoming eServices Philippines event organized by CITEM on February 17-18, 2005.

On hand to answer questions will be government and business executives from Dumaguete City. SPI Technologies, Asia's largest independent BPO company and one of the Global 100 Outsourcing Companies, will discuss their experiences operating in Dumaguete.

The program is as follows:

  • 11:00 Welcome by Gov. George Arnaiz
  • 11:05 Presentation: IT Outlook for Oriental Negros and Dumaguete City
  • 11:15 First Mover Advantage: The SPI Experience in Oriental Negros by Mr. Paul Hartley, Operations Director, SPI Publisher Services
  • 11:40 Open Forum

Hope to see you there! In the meantime, check out Dumaguete City's website.

6 Comments:

At Fri Mar 04, 10:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Dumaguete too! I have a friend who moved there from the US about four years ago and I have visited him there the past two summers. Love Coco Amigos too - I can recall almost exactly where you are situated in that picture - and love the boulevard.

This past summer I was there working for the city public library. I helped them establish a donation network as well as a website:
http://www.dumaguete.gov.ph/library

I like your blog and especially your professional vision to contibute to the betterment of the Philippines. This is very noble and honorable.

Please do get in touch if you're ever interested in discussing things related to Philippines, especially ICT development. I am also interested in library/information-related issues. Like you, my professional vision is also shaped by a desire to make the world a place. Besides, when we sacrifice, we do not lose anything. We simply just pass it on to others.

Contact me anytime. I enjoy your blog.
timothyphealy@gmail.com

 
At Sun Mar 20, 08:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dondi,

I'm planning to relocate to Dumaguete with the family. I guess you've heard of it. Anyway, it would help if you can send me info on IT locaters and other companies who may need my services.

Take care in Bahrain! See ya soon!

Mike Antigua
mykolant@yahoo.com

 
At Thu Dec 15, 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Ritche said...

It's good we have a big man from dumaguete at the CICT. I am Ritche currently working at the SEARCA inside UPLB campus, Laguna. I have been involved in the efforts to promote Dumaguete as an IT hub. Email address: ritche_d_berry@yahoo.com. My blogspot is: http://techhallucinations.blogspot.com/. Thanks.


Ritche

 
At Sun Apr 20, 05:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

any news on how this is developing (local economic development), I am from holland and checking out Dumaguete for a couple of reasons (just returned).

regards,

Arjen

 
At Tue Apr 22, 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Dondi Mapa said...

Hi Arjen,

Since I posted the above entry, Teletech has setup a major site at the world-class Dumaguete Business Park. Adding this to SPI and a soon-to-be-announced third major locator, it would seem that Dumaguete is indeed booming!

Check out http://www.techhallucinations.blogspot.com/ for latest updates, including the not-unexpected news that Dumaguete is one of the world's "top expat heavens".

Keep us posted on your decision!

Cheers,
Dondi

 
At Thu Dec 17, 02:05:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger